Message sent from:

Jargon Buster Glossary

Frequently Asked Questions

What are INSET days?  

INSET stands for In Service Training. All schools in England have five INSET days every year when they are closed to pupils to allow for staff training. They are an important part of staff training and development, ensuring that staff stay up to date with latest developments and so education in our school remains ‘cutting edge’.

What is the Foundation stage? 
The Foundation Stage is Nursery and Reception (age 3-5)

What are Key Stage 1 and 2 (KS1 and KS2)? 
Key Stage 1 is Years 1 and 2 (age 5-7). Key Stage 2 is Years 3, 4, 5 and 6 (age 7-11).

What is the national curriculum?  
The national curriculum outlines what all children should be taught in each Key Stage. To find out more go to http://curriculum.qca.org.uk/

What are SATs? 
They are Statutory Assessment Tasks. These are national tasks / tests which are used to assess all children at the end of Key Stage 1 (Year 2) and the end of Key Stage 2 (Year 6). The SAT results give a ‘snapshot’ of children’s attainment; in other words how they achieved in particular tasks or tests taken on as specific day / week.

When do my children sit their SATS? 
SATS are taken towards the end of Year 2 (the times are variable, during April and May) and at the end of Year 6 (a specific SAT week is set nationally every year, usually the second or third week of May).

What  is Teacher Assessment? 
This is the teachers’ judgement about the progress and attainment of a child. This judgement will be made based on evidence gathered over a period of time and from a range of pieces of work, together with test results. It is usually a more reliable judgement of a child’s attainment than a test result alone.

What is a TA? 
A TA is a Teaching Assistant. This is somebody who supports learning in the classroom. Sometimes they will support individual children, at other times they may work with a group or with the whole class.

What is PPA time?  
This is Planning, Preparation and Assessment time; all teachers are entitled to PPA time.

When do we get a school report for our children? 
School reports are issued to children in Years 1 - 6 at the end of the Spring Term and Reception children at the end of the Summer Term

How do I give feedback about my child to teachers? 
There are parent consultation days every year when you can make an appointment to discuss your child’s progress with their teacher(s). In addition, teachers are always happy to talk briefly at the end of the school day. If you’d like to talk for a bit longer, then ask your child’s teacher if you can arrange a time that is convenient for you both. You can do this at any time of the year.

How frequently are Parents’ Meetings?  
Parents’ Meetings are held three times year, each term.

How do I contact the Headteacher?  
You can do one of a number of things. 1) Call in to the school office and make an appointment.  2) Email school FAO Lissa Samuel to info@cayley.towerhamlets.sch.uk or 3) Write a letter.  Our Headteacher, Lissa Samuel is always happy to meet with you.

When can my child learn a musical instrument? 
Year 1 - African Drumming

Year 2 - Percussion 

Years 3 & 4 - Recorders

Year 5 - Violin

Year 6 - Samba and small group tuition 

Do the children have swimming lessons? 
Swimming is part of the Key Stage 2 PE curriculum. At Cayley swimming lessons happen in Year 4 and 5 

Is PE kit compulsory? 
Yes. This is for health and safety reasons. Our PE kit consists of a red T-shirt, blue shorts or track-suit bottoms and black gym-shoes. Children can choose if they wear shorts or track-suit bottoms. Red sweat shirts can be worn for outdoor PE. No jewellery or watches can be worn and long hair needs to be tied back.

Where is the lost property kept?  
Lost property can be found in a box under the canopy. This lost property is also displayed in the  playground at the end of each term where parents are encouraged to check through for missing items.  All lost property is recycled via Tesco at the end of each term. Please sew name labels or write your child's name in their clothing. 

Am I allowed to take my child out of school for a holiday or day off? What happens if I do? 
Regular attendance at school is essential. Only exceptional circumstances will be authorised.  Holidays in term time are no longer able to be authorised.  Please make an appointment at the school office to discuss this.  

Any other questions?  Please feel free to contact us.

Hit enter to search